Sunday, July 24, 2011
Getting Ready for the Road!
We just returned from a trip back to Michigan for my family's week of camp (where aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, and some friends camp together). We found out that Marvin would be underway (not home) for over a month during the time that camp was scheduled. I was so sad that we would have to miss it. We have done it every year since I was about 4 and camp contains some of my most precious memories growing up. Now that my kids are old enough to actually carry memories on, it hurt to think they would be missing out on these. I moped around for several days before Marvin said if there was a way for us to get there, he thought we should go. Flying is not an option for my family of 6 plus we would be bringing our dog(who has been with my parents in Michigan) back home with us. So, we would need to drive. The question was, am I up for a 2600 mile trip (one way) alone with 5 small children. I had never taken them more than about 12 hours and that seemed pretty far. Could we do triple that and survive? I decided it was worth a try. I had a week to prepare. I plan everything, so a week was not much. I started with laundry. Three days before we left, I washed and folded every piece of clothing we own. I then pack for each of the kids and I. I packed 5 days worth of everyday clothes and 2 sets of nice clothes for church and outings. That is 42 outfits plus underwear and a couple of pairs of socks (plus my own clothes). I squish the boys' clothes in one suitcase and the girls' and mine in another. The day before we leave, I pack our hotel suitcase. I pack 1 shirt for each of us for each day of travel (18 in this case), clean underwear for each person for each day of travel (18 for this trip), 1 pair of pajamas each, and pants or shorts (the opposite of what they are wearing to start the journey), and 3 small sleeping bags (for Josh and the girls). This is the only suitcase that is brought into the hotel. That way, we can get everything in and out in one easy trip. It is packed last so it is easy to get to! The night before we leave, I make sandwiches...lots of sandwiches (24 of them, to be exact)! I also put snack size servings of trail mix and other snacks into sandwich bags. All of this goes into a bag that sits right next to the drivers seat. A lot of travel time is spent not actually traveling, but waiting in lines for food or in restaurants. Instead, I just toss back sandwiches and snacks and keep on driving. Also, the night before, everyone gets clothes laid out for morning and I do one last load of laundry. The overnight bag gets packed the morning we leave as teeth are brushed and hair combed. The last thing packed is the cooler, with squeeze yogurts, string cheese, fruit, juice boxes and Diet Cokes. This goes in front of the girls' seat where I can easily reach it. I put my bag(with wallet for tolls), an atlas, DVDs for the girls (the boys are in charge of their own), and music and Adventures in Odyssey on the passenger seat so I can get to them easily. The kids are responsible to bring their pillows and sleeping stuff (animals and dolls) into the van when they get in. After a quick battery check for Leapsters and DSs, we are ready to be off! A lot of work and organization goes into traveling with this large family. When I travel alone, it is even more important! All this and we haven't even gone a mile yet! Not the case for long!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I am so impressed!! I was just thinking if you could go that far with 5 littles ones, I could do a two day trip by myself to SC with my 4:) You're my hero!!
Praying for safe travels for you and the kiddos!! I am going to copy your hotel suitcase for our upcoming trip to WI next week. Thanks!!!
Post a Comment