Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Little Man


Joshua was diagnosed with Autism months ago. It is an understatement to say that we were hit extremely hard by this diagnosis. It was a hard time, but one that drove us into the arms of our Lord. We came to terms with Autism being a part of our family. We did a ton of research and changed our diets and lives dramatically. Then we put Autism on the top shelf and went on with our summer. We could not do much until our paperwork was moved through the system and the school year started again. We focused on working with his speech and coping techniques and lived our lives...our new normal. It became comfortable, we seemed to have moved on. And then it was time to face it all full on once again. In all honesty, he has made huge progress in his speech and communication skills. I was hoping that because of those improvements, the school district would kick us out of the program. Well, they did not. In fact, the evaluator, while she agreed that it is great to see such progress, still saw several reasons to move him on in the Special Needs program. So, he will be moved on to be more closely evaluated by the school's Physcologist, Occupational therapist, and Speech therapist to determine with us what will be the best course of treatment for him. There are many options available, ranging from therapists coming to our house, much like they did when he was younger. The next step is to take him in to the school for whatever therapy schedule we all agree on. The final step would be for Josh to enter the school's Preschool program for Special needs children. It was humbling to face the fact that Josh still holds this label. I was so sad that others will look at him and not see past the Autism. And then I realized that is exactly what I was doing. I am working hard on stopping this. Josh may be Autistic, but it does not stop there. He is also Joshua, the boy that no one who comes into contact with can help but love. The boy whose smile is capable of melting this mama right into a puddle on the floor. The boy who is every single day making progress. The one who now comes to me, holds my hand, and tells me that he loves me. The one who is trying his best to tell a knock knock joke. I am such a lucky mama. I really don't care that he is Autistic, he IS Joshua. I love my boy and I am willing to go down this road with him, to hear hard words for any mom to hear. It has taken a long time to put away the picture that I once saw when I heard the word Autism. However, now when I hear the word Autism, I see my Joshua and it becomes a lot easier to handle it.

4 comments:

eastandwest said...

Angel, I am praying for you as you discern what services are right for sweet Joshua. (Moli's cleft doctor is not the biggest fan of homeschooling- so we considered 1/2 day 4 year old program but really felt God wanted us to keep her home with weekly visits from Amy). Praying you hear clearly from the Lord the path you will take. We love you guys and MISS you!

James 1:27 Family said...

Yea for progress! Good job, Joshua. We're praying for you, little buddy! Our God is so good and His plans are perfect. If we arranged things the way we want them to be, what a mess we would have. :) Thank you for sharing your heart, Angel. You are such a great mommy!
Much love,
Amy

Amy said...

Angel, your family is in my prayers as you continue to deal with all the decisions and therapies and the rest of your family! It is a lot, but you seem to be handling it great! As I have been taught to say, and I believe is true, Joshua is not autistic, he is a precious boy with autism.

Michal Ann said...

Amy's expression is great: "a precious boy WITH autism." How wonderful that your perspective is "maturing" right along with him. You're all doing SO WELL.

I was diagnosed with MS when I lost part of my eye-sight with each of three births. Even though my eyes pretty much healed and my neurological damage is no where near as severe as many endure, it's really hard to avoid that voice in my head. "You have M.S." over and over. A mentor JUST told me after all these years of Christian growth that the repetitive, limited loop of negative words pretty much guarantees that the enemy of our souls is speaking; it's not our own thoughts or God's voice. God is CREATIVE and unlimited in the way He turns ashes into beauty.

Isaiah 61:2-4 NIV
to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God,to comfort all who mourn,
and provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a

crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.

They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor. They will rebuild the ancient ruin and restore the places long devastated;they will renew the ruined citiesthat have been devastated for generations.

You and your homeschoolers are doing amazing and happy work. It's so great that Josh has the love and stimulation of a large family!