It never fails to amuse me to watch the reaction we get when we walk into a place. It really doesn't matter where we are, our family just draws attention. I love to watch people's eyes get bigger and bigger as they silently count heads as we go by. I get a kick out of comments made as we walk by(I guess a LOT of people assume that deafness comes with having a big family ;)). I don't think that it is just the number of kids, but that they are all so close to the same age. As the little ones get bigger and the size gap lessens, we seem to draw even more attention. I get a kick out of people trying to figure out my family clueless to the fact that we can HEAR them!
"Oh my, she has twins AND triplets."
"Oh wow, I think that is TWO sets of twins."
"Oh my word, is that one family?"
Only a small percentage of those people ask me. I am more than happy to answer those questions, unless of course, I am busy dealing with an active meltdown, in which case I just give a quick warning that anyone close by should move within 30 seconds before said child self destructs. The rest of the time, I just smile and nod as we walk away. I am happy to say that we have run into only a few very rude people who dare to say negative things in our hearing. Most are just plain curious. I am thinking seriously about making tee shirts for each of the children just to answer the most asked questions and address the most used comments.
Michael's would say, I am the oldest. I am not a twin. Yes, I am on the small side, but my mom says the best things come in the smallest packages!
Sam's would say, I am number 2. I am not a twin. Yes, I do get that a lot.
Josh's would say, I am number 3. I am not a twin nor am I a triplet! I am my own man!
Sarah and Abby's would say, YES, we are twins. No, we are not identical, really.
I would not change anything about our family...at least not much. More about that later(and no, I am NOT pregnant!).
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
i think your shirts should read:
We're the Quiambao quintuplets, God just chose to space us out a few years!
you have such a sweet family I'm so glad I'm still able to watch your family grow - via your blog!
dude! i totally hear you about people making comments assuming that you can't hear them!! When Sean was wearing his helmet people said stuff all the time. The best was a little boy who looked at Sean then at his mom and said "mom, look! he's ready to ride a motorcycle!" His mom almost died, but I thought it was hilarious!
enjoy your big family just the way it is! ( I am still waiting for more kids from you and a winnebago!)
Post a Comment