Saturday, May 7, 2011

I Choose to Dance

I am SO happy to be together with my family again, so I do not want this post to seem as I would choose anything else. But, I'm being honest, it has been a very tough time for me! It is always a little bit stressful to come back together after a long separation. It is a little like dancing for the first time in years. You are thrilled to be arm in arm, but things can feel a little awkward and you might step on a few toes or have a few trips along the way. After the first song or two, you fall back into comfortable step and pretty soon, you are just enjoying the music. It gets a bit more complicated as we add children and even more so as those children get older. It is not bad, just a process. I am so glad to be dancing with my partner once again, but it has not been completely graceful. Trying to put my finger on it yesterday, I think it is because I can't quite bring myself to relax here and enjoy the music. Things are just too up in the air right now. There are very complicated things that have all lined up together that cause our future to be very up in the air. Marvin is due for orders in March, but he has a package turned in to be picked up as an officer. He cannot get orders until that has been decided, which could be in 2 weeks or 6 months(you just never know with the Navy). He'll either be picked up and go to Officer training school(without us) and then be put on a ship for 2 years wherever there is an opening(with us). Or he will be denied and put in the pool for orders(sometime between November and March), again wherever there is an opening for him. Further complicating things, his ship is scheduled for a refueling, which takes 3 years and a move to Virginia. That would not be a bad thing, in fact it would be a wonderful thing, except that the Navy will not move families unless they will be on ship for over a year. Needless to say, even if his package gets declined, Marvin is up for orders before a year is out. So, there is a very real possibility that he could be moved to Virginia, leaving us behind in the land of perpetual rain. The thing is, I know that God is in complete control. I know that with all that I am. I trust him to take care of us and to sustain us no matter what the circumstance. I am giving these things to Him, so that I can focus on enjoying the song that He has given us and the partner that He has blessed me with. I choose to dance,and my greatest desire is to stop focusing on the many what ifs and focus on the beautiful song He has given us today...and trust Him with our future!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I can't imagine how challenging that must be coming off a deployment!! I can relate in the possible orders, waiting for orders, possible move, military move scenario, possibly going officer...and of course the rain as that is our life too right now!!! :) The up in the air is just challenging and I find myself just trying to make it through and looking forward to brighter days!! :) praying God meets you there!

MoonNStarMommy said...

I totally understand what you are saying ... going from getting use to being by yourself .... to being a whole unit again... it's a process... I can totally understand that. Everyone applauds the soldier but not enough people applaud the family who stands behind the soldier :) It takes a strong person to be a soldiers wife.

I am in the land of perpetual rain also, we moved here a year ago, stumbled across your blog by searching for Corey's Day At the Farm (your post from last year pop'd up) ... We went this year and it was amazing.