Thursday, October 22, 2009

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Sorry, had to get that out! I feel better now! We had less than a week off of soccer when Sarah got really fussy. Her eyes got all glassy, which usually means a fever will follow. Only, none did. I thought it strange, but I was glad. Then I found a strange sore on her tongue. Looking closer, I saw several sores in the same area, on her lips and inside her cheeks, and a few dots on the outside of her mouth. I had a cold sore at the time and thought I had passed them on to her. I remembered my first time getting them and it was really bad, but not on my tongue. When I was looking up if it was possible to get cold sores on your tongue, I came across a picture of Hand, Foot, Mouth disease. It looked just like Sarah's mouth. There were no sores on her hands or feet, but I figured it was coming. Sure enough, she woke up with blisters on her hands and bottom the next morning. Other than not being able to eat ketchup, which is Sarah's most favorite food EVER, she really didn't act very sick. We just had to wait it out and let the blisters heal and pray that we don't have an outbreak on our hands. With 5 kids, a simple bug can take us out for weeks! After 2 days went by, I started to hope that maybe this was stopped in it's tracks. I looked all the kids over every morning and night. Then, on day 3, I found the blisters on Abby. Hers were mostly in her mouth. If I hadn't been looking for it, I most likely would have never known they were there. That makes me relieved. Hopefully whoever brought their infected child into contact with mine did not know their child was sick. I resigned myself to the knowledge that we had an extra 2 days of house arrest and hoped it would end there. However, 2 days later, there was no mistaking that Josh had gotten it, and much worse than the girls had it. Poor guy was in bad shape! His mouth was so bad, he drooled everywhere for 2 days and needed a lot more meds to get him through. I followed him around with Lysol. Poor guy. I kept the kids separated for bath times and it was funny to watch the sick bath get more and more filled up. The first night Sarah was all alone in the bath for the first time in her life. She did not like it at all! Then Abby joined her. Then Josh joined. It started getting pretty crowded in there! I hate to write this down, because Josh is still contagious, which means Michael and Sam are still at risk, but I think we are finally on the downhill path now! On my calculations, we should be done with being fully contagious on Sunday. We are all going stir crazy! Add to this sickness a whole lot of working hours for Marvin and a whole lot of rain keeping us inside and what you get is just not very pretty! We've done a lot of crafts though, so that is fun. Maybe, just maybe, the sun will come out by the time that we can come out!!!! In other news, I have decided to be an independent representative for a company called Demarle! I'll write more about that another time, but in the meantime, you can check out my website here! I better go do some more disinfecting!

2 comments:

James 1:27 Family said...

Angel, I'm so sorry to hear about the sickness going around. That's such a miserable time. I will be praying that you are through the hard part and healing comes quickly!

Love to you all!
Amy

Michal Ann said...

Good mommy! You know just what to do and you're doing it so well!

It's an odd disease, isn't it? My eldest got it when he was in kindergarten which I didn't realize until the dentist spotted it (so to speak!).

Ps.127:3 Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him. 4 Children born to a young man are like arrows in a warrior’s hands. 5b How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them! I think 5 is a quiver full! Your kids are beautiful.

In Jesus, Michal