Friday, May 22, 2009

Quick update...

...and I do mean quick! Sarah stinks to high heaven and I'm not sure what is banging in the basement. I must go investigate! I just wanted to let you all know that we got Josh's EEG results back and he does not have epilepsy! That is a very big relief for this Mom!!! He is doing well. I have been filling out paperwork for 2 days for his Developmental Specialist. I just put it in the mail. Once they receive and review the paperwork, they'll schedule an appointment for us to come in so they can do testing and evaluations on him. I have been told that this is a very long process, and I am so glad that they don't just slap a label on him that he'll have to carry for life. They will get him into services that he is eligible for and continue to monitor him. I love this approach and am excited to give him the best shot at getting over some of his stuff. Okay, I gotta run, there is now a brawl going on by two girls. My bet is on the stinky one! Michael is video taping it all on my camera, my little director. I will be back later, I'm working on a day in my life post. In my head of course, after all, my life is just a tad busy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about "Anonymous"! Every time I sign up for a google account, it gets zapped by my filters or something and I have to do it over.

I am Michal (immichal@yahoo.com), blogless in Seattle.

I love your faith and your great strength and love! Great writing, too! A mentor of mine once said "God is the ONLY one who is safe enough to handle our anger at Him." I'm sure you love the Psalms which express David's full range of emotions.

I've been reading your family's story for a couple weeks and anxiously await progress reports on Josh. I have a brown eyed boy who had childhood seizures and it's terrifying!

You had such a great idea to call his wires and leads "magic stickers." Maybe he'll never have to blow on a pinwheel again but just in case, you could buy some for the kids. I used to think they were great fun to play with and/or to hold up where the wind could make them whirl.

If you have to weigh Josh again, perhaps you could hold him in your arms as you stand on the scale. Then, weigh yourself alone and subtract. Sounds more fun than "wrestling" him! Your guys sure are darling doing martial arts with their daddy! Priceless!

My son had to have regular finger pokes for blood tests. I held him on my lap and scratched a "scratch 'n sniff" sticker under his nose at the moment he was "stabbed." (Those suckers HURT the finger tip!) My theory was sort of like the Lamaze method, that is, combine breathing and distraction. "What's this?? Sniff!" The doctor's office used to give the stickers as a reward so I made creative use if them!

I also used to have my little kids take deep breaths and BLOW on their owies. "Oh, your knee hurts? OUCH! That must hurt! Take a deep breath and BLOW on it. Blow..." Again, breathing and distraction often seemed to help. (I invented this idea on the ski slopes when I was a patroller.)

Finally, have you ever read "The Velveteen Rabbit"?? I notice Josh's favorite toy is "bunny." My kids still love a wonderful audio version of the story with George Winston on piano and Meryl Streep narrating.

I hope I haven't written too much. You are such a busy mom!! Who is stinky now?? :)

Love in Christ, Michal Ann

"From the end of the earth will I cry unto Thee. When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I." Psalm 61:2