Sunday, April 19, 2009

So Much to Post, So Little Time!

Abby's first big girl pig tails!



Proof that it is not ALL pushing and shoving! THIS part makes twins worth it!

Can you tell that she is NOT supposed to be touching this?

I have been quiet here this weekend because it has been jam packed with crazy fun! Marvin got home on Thursday night. He got special liberty so that I could get away for the week end. That means he was home 3 whole days! Can you even believe it? I can't, it was so wonderful! The ship came to our side of the water during the weekend, so gone are the days of 2 hour commutes both to and from work! That should be 4 hours added time for us a day! That in itself is enough to flip for! So, we ran all kinds of errands Friday morning. Including getting my haircut! First time since my almost 2 year olds were 8 months! It feels so great! Looks better too! Then, the clothes I had ordered from Old Navy and Gap came while we were out. The girls put on a fashion show. We were laughing as they wanted to try everything on, but not take anything off! Crazy girls! At one point Abby had 5 layers on! So funny how different little girls are, they LOVE new clothes!

Abby loved trying on her new bathing suit!

Sarah did too!

The problem with the deck. Another splinter.

My Josh liked his new swim suit as well!

Abby likes the layered look!
panties, swim suit top, one piece swim suit, suit bottom, diaper

Never too cool to love Abba!


Once that was done, I left Abba in charge and went to a Homeschool certification class. According to the law here in washington, we don't need to do anything legally to homeschool through age 8. However, at that point you have to declare intent and meet requirements. One year college, be under a certified teacher, or be certified by a secondary institution. I signed up for this class to get myself certified. Legally we do not have to do it until next year, when Michael will turn 8, but with Marvin's schedule, we decided it would be best for us to get it out of the way now. I am SO glad that I went! I feel so much more ready now! So much information packed into 2 days! Earlier in the year, I was feeling a bit of a failure in the homeschool area. None of us were happy. I backed off and stopped trying to do a typical schoolday in our basement. We have decided against traditional schooling for a reason and we were miserable trying to fit into that mold. Not to mention, no one was learning much! So, we backed off and have been taking a much different approach. But, to be honest, I wasn't sure that was okay. I mean, if we are having too much fun, someone is going to swoop in and interfere, my children might not be the smartest on the block, and I might be a failure. After this class, I feel set free! I found out that not only are we perfectly okay, my children are learning at a hugely accelerated rate because I am teaching them how to learn! They WANT to learn, they want to dig deeper because they are having fun! They are learning HOW to learn on their own and that has been SO much fun to guide them through. No more fighting(at least not about school!) because they don't realize half the time that they are even doing school! I got great ideas and met some wonderful moms. Man, that took a rabbit trail I didn't expect it to! While I was away, Marvin was home with the kids. I would love to tell you that each night I got home, he was frazzled with the kids still in jammies and the house a mess, however, I can't. He blew me away! Not only did he take great care of the kids, he also took care of the house! How great is my man?! He is putting me to shame. I told him next time he could hold back a little so that he doesn't completely blow me out of the water! Today was an AWESOME day. Marvin was home, it was sunny, it was warm, church was great! So fun! We went back for a special social/business meeting tonight. We couldn't vote, but we are seriously consider joining this church and you can tell a LOT about a church in a business meeting! Our last church was great, but I have seen some UGLY ones. I told Marvin that this was the night. If someting weird happens or there is blood, we are out. I am so excited that there was neither. The more we get involved there, the more peace we have. To be honest, if Marvin was here more, we most likely already would have joined, but we are so glad that we have true peace about this and feel that this is where God is calling us to be.

Sweet Sam

my Super Sam!

Joshbosh!

Sarah

Sweet girl

Michael man!

my boys making some shade

2 comments:

eastandwest said...

I love all your insight into homeschooling! I'm glad you had such a wonderful weekend. But please don't mention Michael turning 8! It makes me sad!

Shelbi said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! So wish you were here so we could share in this homeschool adventure. I know what you mean about stressing over doing it right, but that is the joy of homeschooling, your child doesn't have to fit the mold. They will learn and you get share in all those AH HA moments. How great is that?!?!
Have a great week!!!!