Saturday, April 25, 2009

YUCK!

I only have a minute and NO pictures today, I promise, you do not want to witness the pathetic state of my house and children! We have got a no good, awful, very bad virus that is going around our area. On Thursday night, Marvin kept saying Sarah felt feverish, I kept denying it. Sure enough, she woke Friday morning with a fever of almost 104. She gets crazy high fevers, just like her Daddy, so I tried not to worry too much. But I knew she was miserable with her puffy eyes, hoarse voice, and disgusting runny nose because she didn't want to move. She is never still. Even when all the kids got RSV around Christmas time she wasn't acting sick. She was actually the sickest, the doctor was amazed at how active and happy she was even in the thick of a bad case of RSV. Fast forward to Friday morning, my girl would not move. She wanted on my lap and when I laid her on the couch, she stayed there! She has not stayed where I put her since she learned how to scoot. I know she must be miserable! When she talks, she sounds like the monster on Monsters, Inc. Marge. In fact, I've been calling her Marge for 2 days now! I put everyone down for a nap and then tried to disinfect everything as best I could. Sarah and Sam woke up and we decided to sit on the deck and get some sun. Sam rode his bike for about 5 minutes and then he disappeared into the house. When he didn't return, we came in to find him laying on the couch, falling asleep. Now, those that know Sam know that he moves even more than Sarah. I knew then that it was spreading! Sure enough, when he woke from his nap on the couch, he was running a fever of 102. He was hoarse and had a cough. When I asked him what hurt most, he promptly answered his elbow. Well, not exactly what I was thinking, but you know, that is Sam for you. I basically just sat on the couch all evening covered in sick kids who just wanted me to hold them all. I thought Abby was just jealous of my holding Sarah, but I was wrong again! I dosed everyone on meds and put them to bed with their vaporizers and Vicks on their feet(it really does work!) and hoped for the best. Marvin was on duty, so I was flying solo. I prayed that Sam wouldn't get croup, as he has with the onset of EVERY cold he has ever had. He did not! He slept peacefully all night long. Sarah was up several times, restless and mad that her pacis fall out of her crib(due largly to the fact that her crib is in the middle of the room so that she cannot touch any walls or outlets!). She was fairly easy to console once she had at least three pacis with her! Around 3am, Abby started crying. The something is really wrong kind of cry. I rushed in, waking sarah in the process, to find Abby had thrown up. The problem, I had picked her up before I figured that out and the yuck that was all over her, was now all over me! The joys of motherhood. I brought her into my room and gave her a sponge bath and got her dressed in clean clothes. she was mad because she wanted in her bed to sleep. She naps in my bathroom in a pack n play during the day that was still set up last night. I laid her in there and she immediately calmed and went to sleep. By the time I had stripped her crib, cleaned myself and got back in bed, it was after 4. Sometime not long after that Sarah was up again. I brought her into bed with me where we both crashed until 8am. I have heard that this virus is going around and that the fever should break on the 3rd day. That would be today for Sarah, so I'm hopeful! I'm also praying that it stops where it is and that the rest of us can stay healthy. Hopefully soon our house will be ready once again to enjoy spring and I will be writing of our adventures and posting pictures of sunshine! Until then, I'm going to go rest up!

2 comments:

julie said...

Oh Angel, I don't know how you do it. You remind me not to think it is so bad to have one sick child. I can't imagine 5 at once. I do agree that vicks on the feet really works too. Joy told me about this a while back and we do it everytime ella gets a cold. Hope the fever was gone today.

The Carters said...

oh i hope the virus doesn't linger too long for you guys! and i hope you get some rest!