Saturday, April 11, 2009

Twas the day before Easter

What a LONG day of fun we've had! I guess it started last night when we made Resurrection rolls in place of a movie for Family night. Let me tell you, the boys had a BLAST and what a great lesson!

You take a marshmallow(representing Jesus' pure, sinless body) and dip it in melted butter then cinnamon and sugar mixture(representing the spices put on Jesus' body in preparation for burial). Then you wrap it in a refrigerated crescent roll dough(representing the linens that Jesus' body was wrapped in after his death). Put them in the oven, following the crescent's cooking directions. When they are done, the rolls are an empty shell, the marshmallows melts away, leaving a tasty hollow treat(just as Jesus left his linens behind when He rose from the dead). They were so great, we repeated it today, only the boys told me the story as they made them this time.

After our treat, the kids went to bed early because the Easter Bunny visits our house a day earlier than most. It began because Marvin had duty on Easter way back when Michael was a baby, then the next year it was easier to get to church when we didn't have to do the Easter basket thing on Sunday morning. Now we do it for those reasons and so that we can be sure our focus is on Jesus and His resurrection all day on Sunday, without the bunnies and baskets getting in the way. It is just what works for us. So, after I put everyone to bed, I started putting Easter baskets together...and eating candy! The kids were SO excited to wake up to baskets of treats! That silly bunny hid candy filled eggs ALL over the house. They did great finding them this year! Within an hour, it looked like the bunny exploded in my living room, grass and all! It is only Easter once a year! They played and fought and played some more! After we put the little ones to bed, Sam and Michael helped me make Easter Story cookies. I highly recommend them, but it may not be for little ones. Probably 4 and up, they need an attention span for this project. We taped the stove shut and headed upstairs to get ready for bed. All in all, it was a very good day.

After Easter Bunny, before Hurricane Quiambao!

Abby is checking out her loot!

Sarah is SO excited!

Abby found an egg!

Abby and Sarah decided to work together
Abby carried the basket...

Sarah buzzed around, finding the eggs

Josh Bosh found one!

Sarah is excited still!

Hands off another as she watches her Kuyas(big brothers) run around crazy!

Josh found the jackpot, an unsupervised basket, and takes full advantage
All is fair in egg hunts!
Very proud of his egg collection

Not to be outdone, Abby shows off their eggs as well

Michael and Sam were there, I just couldn't get a picture, they were CRAZY!
Michael, excited about his finds(they were hidden better than the babies)

Sam was proud as well!

Josh, showing off his beautiful hair

Monkey see...

Sam too! Notice the nice mess in the background?!

There is an Abby under there!


Tonight, as I put my little ones in bed, I want my focus to be fully on what we are celebrating. It is so easy to get caught up in bunnies and baskets, grass, and candy. Those are fun things, but tonight I am focusing on what Jesus did for me on that cross. How He willingly suffered pain, humiliation, and death. I am overwhelmed by the feelings of being loved to that extent. He did it so that I can have eternal life, but even more, that I can live in peace and harmony in the presence of God all the days of my life! He loved me enough to go through death, a horrible, horrible death, so that I can live in Him, with Him for now and always! How AWESOME is that?! I am blown away. Tomorrow, we celebrate the victory over death, as Jesus rose again. Gives me the shiver bumps just thinking about the power in that! What a mighty God we serve! Many people talk about my "religion" being a list of things I can and cannot do. It is SO not! It is an overwhelming knowledge of the LOVE that Christ has for me. It is the longing I have to love Him back, BECAUSE of that love. I do not live a life of rules...I live a life of love. Thank God...I do not follow rules very well! I serve a wonderful God!

1 comment:

The Carters said...

Those were great! I love Josh's techniques on accumulating more eggs :)