Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My baldies!



I promise to post Easter Day pictures here very soon, I promise...Mom...but I wanted to show off my bald little heads and explain why, exactly, they are bald. A couple of months back(I can't remember, but something like that), Abby Riggs(on the Praying for Abby button on the side of my blog)was having a hard time because she had thrush and the meds turned her mouth purple. She felt as though everyone already looks at her funny and now they would laugh at her purple tongue. Brent, Abby's dad, asked if we would send Abby pictures of US with purple tongues to cheer her up. I explained to the boys and they were ON BOARD(it helped that they were promised LOTS of purple sugar in order to accomplish this!). The sugar aside, they have grown to love Abby in praying for her daily and wanted to help make her feel better. Fast forward to Michael's friend and basketball teammate from last year in Charleston getting diagnosed and starting treatment for a brain tumor. Just this last week, his hair began falling out. The boys ask about Forester every single day. I am very honest with them, in very easy to digest terms. They listen to me pray specifically for the requests that are put up on Forester's blog and ask often how he is. The day that Forester's hair began falling out, I told the boys that the medicine to make him better was causing him to lose his hair and that made him sad. I showed them the picture of Forester and Micah(Forester's little brother) with their shaved heads. Sam, my very tender hearted little man made the leap to shave their own heads and send pictures just like we did for Abby and the purple tongue. He said, "We can show him it is not funny, it looks really cool, just like Grandpop is cool." Yes, my dad is very much bald and when the boys get their summer cut, they request it to be just like Grandpop. So, we did it a little early, in honor of one of the strongest and bravest little boys we know! Several people have made comments about the boys' hair, or lack thereof(all good), and they immediately tell that person and whoever else is in earshot that it is for Forester, which has given TONS of oppurtunties to share his story and ask more people to pray! So, if you missed my earlier posts about Forester, please pray. This poor little guy is being buffeted with side effects and just needs a break. He is just over half way through the first of many 6 week courses of chemo and radiation. Please pray that God would focus the medications only where they are needed and allow the rest of his body to function normally. He has no desire to eat and when he does, he vomits often. He has lost a lot of weight and needs to have his appetite back. Please join with me in prayer for this special little boy and for his family. They have truly become close to my heart in the last month or so. Visit their blog and leave a word of support for them at http://thebradburns.blogspot.com .

My plan was only to do the big boys. I hadn't even considered cutting all of my Josh's hair off, but after I was done with Sam's, he climbed himself up on that stool(not an easy task for such a little man) and would not budge without a haircut "like Sam". So, I closed my eyes and made the first cut. He is SO proud of his cute little bald head!

Silly shot

Who am I kidding? Every shot is a silly shot, what can I say, I sure do love my boys!

2 comments:

Sandi said...

That is so awesome Angel, and the boys look absolutely adorable as baldies!

eastandwest said...

That is beautiful, Angel. What sweet-spirited young men you are raising!