Thursday, March 5, 2009

Books, big kid cups, and a chef

Today we spent the morning at the mall. We went strictly for school workbooks and some good chapter books. However, there is no such thing as a quick errand with 5 little people in tow! We left the house at 10am, when most stores in the mall open. Everything I do is strategy. Not much I do is done on the fly. I park at Barnes and Nobles. Why? Well, because that will be our last stop and it will be close to nap time. It is better to walk to the other side to play at the play place than to make that same trek on the way home for a nap with 5 worn out children! After playing for an hour, it was time for a potty break and lunch at the food court. Yet more strategy! Let me tell you, eating at the food court with one me and 5 young children takes much planning. I'm pretty sure after living and operating my household for the last 19 months, I can beat the socks off of any general who would dare wage war on us!!!!!! After a very successful lunch, we headed for Barnes and Nobles, our last stop. The boys play together at the train table while I push the girls' around the children's workbook area. Sam has finished his workbook, and Josh needs one as well. That part doesn't take long. Then, I need to find chapter books appropriate for my young children. William Tell drove me to tears of boredom. Super Fudge did not even get through the first chapter. They LOVE the Boxcar Children, but after 3 of those books, their Mama needs a respite! So, I figured, I should fall back on some classics! They jumped into bed tonight so that we could start on The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I am so happy to be fostering a love for reading with books I can trust!




We are phasing out sippy cups at our house these days. I am kinda sad. Where oh where have my babies gone? Sippy cups are only used when we are out of the house. Otherwise, it is big kid cups sitting down at the table. I have been very proud. The only spills are the ones they mean to do(no, I'm not proud about that!). I'm a little sad, I want to hold on to my babies as long as I can. They seem to be striving to grow up way faster than I want them to.




I could not figure out what to do for dinner. See, strategy is necessary!!!! We have lots of bread, but my children are going to turn into little sandwiches if they eat any more of them. So, French toast was the best option. Michael did it all by himself up to the actual cooking part. I'm very proud of him, he even cracked the eggs. I only had to pick a few shells out!



1 comment:

eastandwest said...

We love Kumon too. Charlotte's Web was the first chapter book I read to Grace, and she loved it. I'm with you on the respite- we're in the third Little House book. I LOVED it at first, but it is going to take me the entire year to finish...