Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Out with the Old, In with the New...

...or so I thought! Josh has a Thumper that was given to him by his Uncle Jay when he was like 6 months old(I'm sure you've seen him in lots of pictures). That bunny has been attached to his side for 2 full years now. Where Josh is, Bunny is. He has loved the bunny almost literally to death. I have not been able to wash him for weeks because he has such a big worn spot on his neck, I am almost sure the poor thing will just disintegrate in the washing machine. Josh would have a horrible time of it if he did not have the security of his beloved bunny. So, I decided we needed to replace him. The problem, he is from the Disney store, and they do not make him anymore. I have looked on e bay so many times with no luck. So, while on vacation, I thought I'd give it another shot. I found it!!!!!! I found THE thumper and although more than I'd usually spend for a stuffed toy, certainly worth it for the peace it would bring to my special boy. My great plan was to let Josh put his bunny into the washing machine for a bath(he LOVES this, believe it or not, clean is his thing!), and then do a quick switch a roo with the new, fresh clean bunny! I was so excited. The problem, well, see for yourself.

When I opened the package, my heart sank. I thought I had found the wrong bunny. But then I put them side by side. Same eyes, same nose, same mouth. I knew bunny was in bad shape, but I realized just how bad when he was sitting next to his brand new, fluffy self. Now, Josh is a 2 year old, but he is NOT stupid. He was NOT going to fall for the switch a roo plan. So, a new plan was born! Honesty. I introduced him to the new thumper, of course while bunny was stuck to him as always. He looked at it funny for a few minutes, but it clicked that this was indeed the young fresh version of bunny himself. He spent the afternoon loving on them both. Before bathtime, I found a quiet place and showed him bunny's "booboos". I told him that bunny was sick and that we needed to put him up on the shelf so that his booboos wouldn't get bigger. He gave bunny one big hug, and off he ran with new bunny in his arms. He can see bunny on his shelf in his bedroom, I was a bit worried about bedtime. But, he waved to old bunny and told him goodnight, then drifted off while cuddling new bunny! Hopefully it will stay this easy!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss that sweet boy!!

Love Christin

eastandwest said...

I love that Joshua has his own set of twins!

And I just tagged you. See my blog for details. It is painless.